Sheppard Pratt Hospital

Saturday, May 17 at 11:00 a.m.

In 1853 Quaker philanthropist Moses Sheppard established The Sheppard Asylum to ensure the humane treatment of the mentally ill. Construction began in 1860 but was not completed until 1891. Philanthropist Enoch Pratt provided additional funding in 1896.

The walking tour starts with the two immense, 360-foot-long principal hospital buildings described as a hybrid of English Norman and Italianate styles. The architect, Calvert Vaux, also designed most of the buildings in New York’s Central Park. The tour also includes the Casino Building, barn and silo as well as the contemporary Quaker Meeting House. Indoors, the Gibson Museum features artifacts from founders Moses Sheppard and Enoch Pratt as well as a historical display of patient activities.

This is a reservations only tour – no walk-ups, please. Entrance is through the 1860 Tudor Revival gatehouse at 6501 N Charles Street, Towson, and begins at the Main Entrance. Parking is available at Lots 1 and 2.

The cost is $10 for members and $15 for non-members.

Please join us!